CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Just a walk in the park... PHOTOS

"So much wonder
Carved in your coral seas
So much wonder
Shaded by ancient trees
I consider all that your hands have made
Every newborn’s eyes, every new sunrise
No power can tame your presence
No light can match your radiance"


What a difference a day makes! Today was an absolutely beautiful day, slightly overcast and breezy. We were unable to book the private tour of Shanghai for today, so we set out to explore on our own...this time feeling much more confident.

After a little research, we decided that we would visit Century Park. It is about the size of New York's Central Park and absolutely stunning. The subway was much busier than yesterday... with many more people and stares. Lyvie has an amazing gift to put a smile on anyone's face (just like a little Bug that I know) under most any circumstance. The staunch police in the subway couldn't resist a grin when Lyvie would peek through the window and wave at them. This little girl is absolutely comfortable wherever she goes!


While it is surrounded by the hustle and bustle of Shanghai's metropolis, life within the park was quite serene. The park was filled with young couples and families delighting in the simplest of things...flying kites, riding along the brick paths on bicycles built for two (and three), pedaling their surrey bikes, fishing, blowing bubbles, and just enjoying each other's company. The Chinese have the ability to slow down and "smell the roses"... the same roses which we, as Americans, often mow over to forge a "short cut" which usually results in hurrying to wait in line.

Fishing on the beautiful lake of Century Park

A little bit of sunshine (notice the little Bug)

The flowers were in full bloom (notice the little Bug theme!)

Caring for the gardens... no John Deere here!

I found myself awake at 3:00 this morning already missing a city that I have come to love in this short amount of time. This has already been a life changing experience for me...changing the way I look at the world and my place in it. In eight hours, we will be boarding the train that takes us to Nanjing and one final step towards being forever joined with our son. We are so grateful for this road and child that He has chosen for us.

See you in Nanjing!

Good bye from Shanghai!

2 comments:

Duchess of Lanier said...

Happy Train Ride in a couple of hours! The park sounds beautiful! Thanks for the photos, too!
Hugs,
Trena

Anonymous said...

I hope you are getting ready for bed so you can be nice and rested to get my little brother TOMORROW!!! [ I know I won't be able to sleep...haha] I have my alarm set for 2:30...so know that I am thinking of you all too!! wo ai ni family!!!