CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Running with the Bull...all the way to Nanjing PHOTOS

After today, we have experienced every mode of public transportation in China…on our own! I keep saying “on our own” because that is a huge undertaking for a family with two young children and eight pieces of baggage.

We thought we had a good feel for Shanghai… until we actually boarded Shuttle Bus Number 5 for the Shanghai Train Station. Even as we rode past Century Park and the front door of the tallest buildings in China, we felt comfortable. However, as we traveled farther into the heart of Shanghai with its endless rows of high-rise apartment buildings and KFCs on every corner (similar to Walgreens in the States) we found that feeling of comfort slipping away from us.

My first thought as we approached the Railway Station was “Please don’t let us out here.” When we stopped, the bus was immediately surrounded by people wanting to sell us watches, drive us to Nanjing by taxi or bus, and those just trying to get on the bus. Troy laughed at me because he heard me repeatedly saying “No…No…No…No” before I even got OFF the bus. And, again…Lyvie was the “ice breaker.” She truly didn’t know what to think of it all, even when one overzealous hawker grabbed her sides from behind to tickle her. Oh…did Papa Bear come out then! Major BU HAO!!! Papa Bear had a 40 pound piece of luggage that he was about to plant upside this man’s head…single handedly.


Hang on tight! WE'RE GOIN' IN!!



Once we got in the actual station, things calmed down a little bit. I just can’t find the words to describe it. Sunday afternoons must be the time to travel, as there was a sea of people waiting for their trains. We searched for a place to light during our two hour wait. Talk about another Conehead moment…a family of four Americans amidst a sea of thousands of Chinese! One man, yet again, ran right into the gate while gawking at my gargantuan husband. Another young man passed up an empty row of chairs to sit right next to my little Goldilocks. We took all of this in stride. After what we’d just been through, a little staring wasn’t going to shake our nerves.

Waiting for our train
(The photo is a little fuzzy so you get the full effect of Troy's mental status!)



Twenty-five minutes before the train arrived, people began to line up. We prepared ourselves for the running of the bulls…I mean passengers. Once in the comforts of our first class coach, you could see the relief wash over our faces.


A much more relaxed Troy



For the next two hours, we did a little “sightseeing.” There were countless apartment buildings, coal mines, and fields along the way. Jiangsu could be best described as “coal mine country.” I thought the sky was just hazy, until I counted my thirtieth smoke stack in about five minutes. It is, as a matter of fact, one of Jiangsu’s well known resources. What amazed me most were the fields amidst the industry. These little patches of green were the little oasis for my frazzled nerves. I’ve always loved being outdoors. It’s where my soul can be nurtured and my energy replenished, much like Superman receives his from the sun. (Can you tell that Superman was on HBO the other night?) I didn’t realize how vital it was until I did not have it at my disposal. I actually found myself tensing each time we passed the ruins of apartment buildings and industrial parks.

Outside the city of Nanjing





We stepped out of the train station, searching for our guide. I caught glimpse of GWCA’s green flag and immediately felt relief wash over me. We had made it! And, now…we were no longer on our own. Kelly took us to the Parkview Dingshan Hotel and helped us get settled. (Wow! You mean our guide will actually help us do this? We’ve been on our own for four days and now we were being spoiled!) The hotel room is wonderful. And, the creaking of the wooden floors reminds me of my family’s old homestead.

So, here I sit…sipping “yellow label” tea and gazing at the crib that is next to my bed, knowing that tomorrow is THE day! I’ve watched other families bring home their beautiful babies and been overwhelmed by the emotion of it all. And, now… it’s time for our dream to become reality and be swept away.


Exactly twelve hours to Adam!!! God is good… ALL the time!



Lots of love from Nanjing

-- Robyn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sooo excited!!! I can't wait to see my new little brother! Its hard to believe the next time I see a new post from you there will be not only pictures of Adam...but pictujres of him in the arms where he belongs...finally. Oh how I wish I was there too. This is long over due family..Happy Gotcha Day family!

wo ai ni forever!

Anonymous said...

ps I LOVE that picture of my Lyv!! I def. need a copy of that one!!!!!

...just waiting for my alarm to ring in 7 hours...wo ai ni...come home safe..and SOON!

Duchess of Lanier said...

Your details make me feel like I was there. How exciting your travel was!
Four Hours! Waiting up to send happy thoughts your way. Congratulations!
Trena
ChuFuNan is no longer waiting with our ChuWei. He's on his way to his family!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Robyn...I am so happy for you all! I am on the edge of my seat, waiting to see those first photos---when you finally get to hold your sweet Adam.

Enjoy this special time!

Lots of Hugs,
Erin
Waiting for Maia Cai
www.nosecondway.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!

LYB

Duchess of Lanier said...

Gooooood Morning! Hope your night was peaceful. And hope we get to see photos of happy Adam very soon!
Hugs and hugs!