CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 5, 2008

Ming Tomb and Brocade Museum...PHOTOS

Today was a busy day for us. We visited the Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum, as well as the Brocade Museum. The Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum is at the southern foot of Purple Mountain. The park setting reminds me a lot of Stone Mountain Park in Georgia. The Olympic Torch was actually run through this area. After driving down the tree lined roads, I can understand why. It is absolutely breathtaking. The Emperor Zhu Yuanzhang began its construction in 1381. It wasn't completed until 1431.

The drive to Ming Xiaoling Mausoleum

The boys (and their families) of our travel group...Adam, Brandon, and Eli

Our happy little family

After our "walk in the park," we visited the Nanjing Brocade Museum. It is truly a gift to be able to create such magnificent work. The museum traces the steps of brocade from the silkworm to the finished product. Several looms are set up so that you can see how the brocade is made. After watching the brocade being woven, I have a great appreciation for the workers. My eyes and my patience would not allow me to create such masterpieces. Following the demonstration, we were ushered into the store...kind of like the gift shops that follow each theme park ride. We did purchase a handmade brocade photo album for Adam's photos of China. I really wanted to buy the silk tie with the brocade boar...perfect for his first prom! I figure that we'll be back in Nanjing before then, though. (wink, wink)

The Nanjing Brocade Museum

The looms where the brocade is created. Notice the worker sleeping behind her loom. It was her break time.

And what sightseeing trip would be complete without lunch? We obviously worked up an appetite! And, I was worried about not being able to eat anything in China? The food is fabulous!

Adam gives today a "thumbs up."
He is a great traveler...slumbering peacefully in his Snuggli most of the time.



Okay, COLTS...here is your latest question of the day!

Nanjing Brocade is one of the intangible cultural heritage items of the area. The silk used in the brocade comes from the silkworm. Each silkworm can produce a silk thread that is 300 meters long! Now, the question is what do they do with this thread?

The weavers will spend an entire day weaving their brocade and only get 4-5 centimeters of the design completed. (Remember the importance of knowing the metric system? That is roughly 2.5 inches per day.) If the weavers are creating a brocade robe that is five feet long, how many days will it take before it is completed?

Make sure that you explain how you arrived at your answer!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow---it is beautiful---can't wait to get there myself for the scenery, of course!!!!

So glad to see you are using a carrier with Adam---he just seems to melt more into your arms every day!

Thanks for such great details in your updates...
Erin
Waiting for Maia Cai

Duchess of Lanier said...

I'm offically requesting permission to use your lesson sparks for my students when I travel. You're great!

Anonymous said...

Are you on your way home yet?! I hope you made it to the White Swan okay. I will call you sometime tomorrow [my time]..I am exhausted. Miss you all soo much!!!

wo ai ni